Sunday, October 16, 2011

Be Your Best Self: Beryn Wins Game Ball



I'm an avid baseball fan. In fact, I'd go so far as to call myself a "baseball geek." I'm a big Red Sox fan and I usually watch a couple innings a night. I start everyday, reading baseball websites, learning baseball news because I'm also a fan of the game. Sometimes I'll sit down and watch a game because I want to see Tim Lincecum of the Giants pitch, or Jason Verlander of the Tigers. I also love good hitting. So I'll watch Albert Pujols play for the Cardinals or I'll watch a whole Red Sox game because I love the line up of Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia, Big Papi, Kevin Youkilis, and well the rest of them, they're all fun to watch. I thought I'd be following them into the offseason, through play-offs and into the World Series. So you could say they broke my heart with their September meltdown resulting in them never even making it into the play-offs.

This is where I was when I went to New Jersey to visit relatives and to see my niece, Beryn Wienstock, play softball on October 1st. I was glad to see all the relatives, but I tell you, my heart was sad that the postseason was going on and there was no chance to wear my Red Sox jersey and to sit in front of the TV and cheer for my beloved team.

And then I saw my neice Beryn play her softball double-header. She's awesome! That day she had 3 RBI's, 2 doubles, 2 singles and a great catch she made in left-center field! I don't even know if her team won the games, and I don't care because watching her and her team, with their energy, attitude and smartness, well it lifted my spirits. After her 2nd double, I said out loud, "there's your MVP!" Afterward, she came out of the dugout carrying the game ball. Her coach had awarded it to her for her amazing performance that day. I was and am still very proud of her.

Thank you Beryn for reminding me that it isn't really about winning or losing or going to the offseason...it's really about how you play the game. Giving it your all. Trying your best. Being your best self.

No comments:

Post a Comment