Friday, August 24, 2012

My Year of Young Adult Literature

The school supply aisles are mobbed and Labor Day is almost here. I'm not returning to school this fall, but I love pretending I'm starting a new year. It's always refreshing to take these last few days of August to dream about having a new life. 

This summer, I read a lot of young adult literature. Between 2002 and 2004, I studied writing for children and young adults at Vermont College; and focused on writing a young adult novel for my master's degree. It's where SHATTERED came to life. While there, I read a lot of children's and young adult books and have continued to do so. Every so often, though, I go through periods where I only read books from the adult shelves.

But this summer, I got really curious about the beginning of literature for young adults. The only way to define this genre is to say that the books are much less baby-ish, with more sophisticated themes, but not as adult as well, adult books. 

I've been feeling this yearning to know more about the genre....how did it start? Looking back from now, 2012, what novels  are considered "classic?" Which one's should I re-read to grow my skills? Who's doing something new? Who's doing something to fall in love with? What work will change me by the last page?

So while all the children and young adults head back to school, I'm launching my new "school year" too. I'm calling it "my year of young adult literature." Join me for learning, new insights, a new world. Isn't that what school is all about anyway? And yes, new friends. I almost forgot the most important thing about school! 

No comments:

Post a Comment