Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Writer's Workshop: On Yearning

Save the date!

Thursday, February 11, 2010, I'll be presenting a workshop on the concept of yearning, as described in Robert Olen Butler's book, From Where You Dream. I will do a brief reading from my new young adult novel, Shattered. A discussion will follow about how Butler's ideas focused me on my protagonist's yearning and specifically, how the book helped me to create the draft that finally sold to WestSide Books. Also, I'll give a writing prompt to assist participants to begin to use the concept of yearning in their own work.

The workshop is offered by the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) Oak Park/Near West Suburbs. It will be held at Dole Branch Library, 255 August Blvd., in Oak Park, from 6-8 pm. It is not required to to be a member of SCBWI to attend the workshop.

I'll be happy to sign copies of Shattered afterward.

For more information on SCBWI, visit www.scbwi-illinois.org

Hope to see you on February 11th!

No comments:

Post a Comment